Friday, July 6, 2012

Captain John Paul Jones

Often referred to as the Father of the United States Navy, John Paul Jones was born this day, July 6, 1747. He helped put in place many of the traditions still adhered to by today's Navy. He was also known to instill professionalism and training throughout his career.

One of his famous quotes include, "I have not yet begun to fight", a reply to the Captain of the British ship Serapis when asked if he would strike his colors (surrender). There is much controversy over whether Jones actually used those exact words, but none can argue his tenacity to battle on as long as the faintest chance of success existed. My favorite quote of Captain Jones however is, "I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harm's way." That is the spirit I remember while in attack squadron VA-115 Eagles and I know it continues on to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment